In this article
Writing a scholarship essay is a required part of many applications as a way for the scholarship committees to learn more about the candidates and their motivations. They have the power to make or break your scholarship application. Because of this, writing a scholarship essay can often seem stressful and daunting.
As a way to ease the essay writing process, we have compiled steps for writing strong scholarship essays, tips to make them stand out to a scholarship committee, and questions students often ask as they begin their scholarship applications. Here are the top scholarship essay tips to earn scholarship money:
- Thoroughly read the prompt and instructions
- Create a solid essay outline
- Start writing early
- Open with a solid hook
- Prioritize basic writing skills
- Keep it descriptive, yet concise
- Be honest
- Be professional
- Be creative
- Let your individual voice shine through
- Stand out from the rest
- Finish with a powerful conclusion
- Revise and edit your first draft
- Read your scholarship essay out loud
- Prepare to submit your scholarship essay
Read below for more context and frequently asked questions about scholarship essays and create an account with Bold.org to unlock hundreds of exclusive scholarships!.
1) Read the scholarship essay prompt and instructions
Always read the prompt before writing. It sounds like a simple suggestion, but if you don't understand what the prompt is asking, you won't be able to properly answer the question. Additionally, do research on the donor to understand the purpose of their scholarship. Many organizations have a mission statement and individual donors are often giving the scholarship in memorial of a loved one. Keep in mind the purpose of the scholarship provider's essay topic so you are able to understand and appreciate the scholarship program.