Why It Matters
Our mission is to fight student debt.
At Bold.org, anyone and any company can create customized scholarships, fellowships, and grants in minutes with the confidence that the award will go to deserving individuals who will boldly change the world.
We’re growing quickly and hiring amazing people who want to change the education and philanthropy landscapes. If that resonates, we’d love to hear from you.
Full Stack Engineer Job Description
The Bold.org platform serves hundreds of thousands of users and 500k+ monthly unique visitors, focused on our mission of fighting student debt.
Our platform consists of a back-end running on Node.js/Express/TypeScript, a Postgres database, and a Gatsby/React-based front-end. For this role, familiarity with Node.js and React is required, and an understanding of Gatsby is preferred.
As a Full Stack Engineer, you’ll join a product team focused on speed, flexibility, and scalability through a lean, iterative approach. You’ll be expected to make thoughtful architectural decisions and release new features multiple times each week while working closely with other engineers, designers, QA, and product managers.
This role will be full-time and can be done from anywhere. To improve engineering coverage, working hours in US time zones are strongly preferred.
- Work with product management, design, and engineering as a small, agile development team to discuss and prioritize user stories.
- Work with the team to give design feedback, assess development velocity, remove roadblocks, and more.
- Work as one of three engineers leading technical development of the platform, including making architectural decisions to support the long-term scale of Bold.org.
- Kind. You’re generally a pleasure to work with. We value our culture and don’t make compromises on this.
- Experienced with Node.js. Experience with Gatsby.js and TypeScript is a plus.
- Full-stack, with an emphasis on back-end. You have experience designing back-end architecture for scalable web applications and highly performant sites. You have hands-on experience with SQL. Experience with Postgres and AWS is a plus.
- Agile. You work effectively as part of a small team, iterating rapidly and releasing frequently. You’re comfortable starting user-stories even if designs are not yet 100% complete.
- Ok with perfect not being the enemy of good. You’d rather move quickly and iterate quickly.
- Collaborative. You give feedback directly and receive feedback thoughtfully and easily. You can rally a team around a shared vision.
- An exceptional individual contributor. You excel at learning quickly and figuring things out yourself. You prefer to spend most of your time as an individual contributor.
- Driven. We’re a small team and growing quickly. We all wear multiple hats. We take joy in our work and pride in our mission. To excel in this role, you must be excited by all of this!